Mold can be a scary thing that can get you seriously ill, especially if it is on food and/or in your home. So what can we do about it? Let’s start with what it is.
Mold, What it Is!
It is one of the most common indoor air pollutants and it is tough to eliminate. If you have ever noticed a green, musty smell in your home, you might have noticed the presence of mold.
Mold gets its name from the Latin word “mollis,” which means smooth. It is a fungus that can grow anywhere in the world and usually resides in damp areas such as bathrooms, basements, and crawl spaces. Mold can grow in almost every corner of your home even in places where you wouldn’t think it can and can cause serious health issues.
In this article, we will discuss some of the most common health problems caused by exposure to mold and some of the things you can do to prevent these problems from happening.
What is the Most Common Health Problem Caused by Mold?
After decades of research, there are still no specific answers to the question of exactly what health problem mold causes. Some experts say that it can trigger a wide range of symptoms, while others are sure that it is not the direct cause of any health issues. According to one study, seven percent of the population has chronic health conditions that could be attributed to exposure to mold.
However, most experts agree that the chances of getting sick from mold exposure are higher if you have a respiratory disease, asthma, allergies, or a weakened immune system. It is also important to note that according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the majority of people who get sick from mold are exposed to it only once.
Health Symptoms of Exposure
If you feel any of these symptoms, you may have mold in your house. Of course, these can be the result of possible virus infections or other health-related issues not related to mold, so seeking medical help would be recommended if you feel the need to do so.
- Eye irritation
- Runny nose and congestion
- Sore throat
- Skin rash
What Factors Increase the Risk of Getting Sick from Mold?
To decrease your chances of getting sick from mold exposure, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Some of the most common factors that make you more susceptible to mold are age, air pollution, genetics, health conditions, and exposure to it before you were born. In addition, if you have children with asthma, the chances that they will be exposed to mold are much higher than those without this condition. Let’s discuss each factor in more detail.
What are the Different Types of Mold?
There are a lot of different types of mold that can grow in different parts of your home. The most common types of mold include – Stachybotrys chartarum: This type is often found in air conditioning systems, ceiling tiles, and damp basements. It can also grow in wall voids.
- Aspergillus: This type of mold is often found in kitchens, bathrooms, and basements. It is often present in humid environments.
- Penicillium: This type is often found in foods. Possibly in packaged foods and certain environmental conditions may contaminate them during the packaging process.
- Fusarium: This type can also be found in bathrooms and basements, as well as damp areas.
- Mucor: This type of mold is often found in wet or humid places.
- Other types, such as those found in soil, may also be present in your home.
How to Prevent Mold from Occurring
To prevent mold from occurring in your home, you need to control the factors that increase the risk of exposure to it. To do this, you need to be aware of some of the common causes of mold in your home.
- Improper ventilation: Improper ventilation is the most common cause of indoor air pollution. This means that the air exchange in your home is not properly managed. If you have a home with an outdated system, it will get stuffed with all types of particles, including mold spores. The best way to deal with this is by installing a ventilation system that will help to keep the air clean.
- Improper use of dehumidifiers: Dehumidifiers are very useful in the battle against indoor air pollution. However, if you constantly turn your dehumidifier on and off, you may release mold spores into the air. In such cases, it would be better to run the dehumidifier 24/7 and keep the house at a low temperature.
- Excessive use of chemicals: Even though it is important to clean your home regularly, it is also important to use the appropriate products. Some household products, such as bleach and chlorine can be harsh on your respiratory system. Instead of using harsh chemicals, you should try using safer options such as baking soda and vinegar instead.
Mold is a very common problem and the sooner you take action, the better. In addition, the more you know about this type of indoor air pollution, the sooner you will be able to recognize it and take the appropriate steps to eliminate it. Dehumidifiers are great products for removing this fungus.
Mold can be a real problem for people with allergies or asthma, especially if the mold is in their bedroom. Everyone should be aware of the potential for it to grow in their environment and take appropriate precautions. In this article, we have discussed some of the most common dangers of mold and how you can avoid these dangers. Remember to be proactive and check your home regularly for mold.